Thursday, December 21, 2017

Single Issue Showcase: Iceman #1 – “Iceman”



The cover of Iceman #1 by Kevin Wada
It’s December again, and that means checking in with the Queer Comics Blog’s favorite queer X-man: Iceman! This year saw the start of his own series, written by Sina Grace with covers by Kevin Wada, and this first issue drawn by Alessandro Vitti, lettered by VC’s Joe Sabino, and colored by Rachelle Rosenberg. This is a dream team for a dream book, and it has not disappointed. And so, at the end of the year, I wanted to go back to the beginning.

The opening pages show Iceman trying to “describe himself” for a dating app “(in 500 words or less),” which recalls a very different gay superhero’s solo series and how it handled the same material. Whereas Midnighter is confident and focuses on his superpowers, Iceman has difficulty thinking of what to write and focuses on what others would say about him. His struggle to finish as much as a sentence becomes a motif before he is forced to deal with his parents and a mutant-hunting Purifier.

Bobby begins by writing that his friends are his family, and he realizes how true that is when he visits his parents in the hospital after his father has a heart attack scare. Health issues aren’t the only thing they’re keeping from him, and despite his best efforts to explain how he’s “always a mutant,” he realizes they’re not as close as he is to people with whom he’s fought Magneto and the White Queen.

I’m still not out to my parents. We were estranged long before I realized I’m gay, and I may never tell them myself. When I did come out to one of my cousins, I was told, “I don’t understand it and I don’t agree with it, but I still love you.” This was not the worst reaction I got from a family member. What I’ve learned, and what Iceman depicts with humor and sympathy, is that family does not need to be a necessary part of my self-discovery; that’s what my community is for. Bobby struggles with his role as a mentor and a son, but he displays nothing but confidence when helping a young mutant girl who can turn her spit solid. I’ve been fortunate to have great friends to help me figure myself out along the way.

Sadly, it was announced earlier this month that this title is ending. This is unfortunate for several reasons, not the least of which is the continued erasure of the marginalized voices at Marvel Comics. It highlights many flaws in an already weak system, but Mr. Grace confirmed on Twitter in an answer full of kindness and a call for empathy. Iceman may be over soon, but we can always enjoy this work and whatever this incredibly talented team creates in the future.

Iceman #1 is still available as a single issue, but will also be part of Iceman Volume 1: Thawing Out. It might be released after all the holiday shopping is done, but it’s worth getting.
The cover of Iceman #1 that I got signed by Kevin Wada and Sina Grace at FlameCon earlier this year

No comments:

Post a Comment