Thursday, December 15, 2016

Single Issue Showcase: All-New X-Men #13


 This scene doesn't appear in the comic.
I think I’ll end every year by checking in on Iceman. It’ll be a nice way of keeping track of how the character is being treated and my ignorance of all things X-related. I may be looking forward to the Iceman ongoing series, but I doubt I’ll still be able to make much sense of what’s going on. Fortunately, this issue is light on continuity-related shenanigans that would intimidate a new reader or make a seasoned reader’s head spin. There’s some talk of “Egypt and Hank” and the blue kid (whom the intro page calls “Kid Apocalypse” but the Internet calls “Genesis”) has a couple of panels talking about what he would do for Apocalypse, but mostly it’s about young, newly out Bobby Drake’s first time at a gay bar. And it’s just as adorable as it sounds.

Blue kid and cool, black Firestorm (I’d look up her name, but I’m not falling for the same trick twice) take Iceman clubbing in Miami so that he can learn to be himself. Of course, that can prove difficult when you’re still figuring out who you are. After a few abortive attempts at small talk that his friends assure him are part of the process, Iceman hits it off with a young man but momentarily loses control of his powers in what could be a metaphor for several things at once. He runs out into the alley and into a boy named Romeo, which is not excused by writer Dennis Hopeless having the character point out how obvious a name it is. Apparently, this is a setup for a “star-crossed lovers” storyline because why should gay people be happy?

As upset as I am by that development, this issue doesn’t hint at any of that except in the most roundabout ways. In all other respects, it’s very sweet. The art by Mark Bagley suits the story, and when the inevitable action pages come and go, the transition is seamless and well handled. The framing of the characters in relation to each other and their surroundings add depth to their multi-layered facial expressions. Young Iceman displays hope, awkwardness, longing, fear, desire, trepidation, and effusiveness, all in the space of a single page. The colors by Nolan Woodward also deserve mention, because they adapt to the different settings, and accentuate the moods of the characters.

The first time I visited a gay bar, I was so nervous I tried to hit on the waiter, didn’t have enough money for a drink, and literally ran out after only a few minutes because someone asked me to dance. I’m sure I would have been better off if I’d gone with friends, and I know I’d have been better off if I’d read supportive material like All-New X-Men #13 instead of hateful religious tracts. Six months ago, in the worst mass shooting this country has endured so far, gay bars were added to the growing list of places that can feel unsafe. Its good to be reminded of how important they are for everyone. All-New X-Men #13 was printed last month and should still be available at your local comic shop. It would probably make a good Christmas present to any young person for whom you’re shopping this year. Happy holidays, everyone. Lets make 2017 a better year than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment